5.4.14

Damien Hirst

After my tutor  looked through my work and saw I was headed down towards the decay path he suggested that I should look into Damien Hirst. At first I weren't so sure since I've never been a fan of his work at all, as interesting as it seemed, I just found him to be quite arrogant and lazy as an artist; but after looking into his work and taking out his books from the library I decided to give his work a try as I discovered his work can be interesting. He does seem like the perfect artist to look into to help motivate new inspirations since his work is quite diverse in themes as the pieces that I have looked at involves raw meats and flies, medicine/pills, trash, diamond encrusted skulls all of which relate to my theme.

Hirst's themes of morality, life and death, religion, wealth and decay; all coincidentally are very well suited to the direction I want to take my project, thinking of textile sampling in ways that can contrast these themes within these different areas, creating textures which look as though it deteriorates through burning, ripping tearing which will all present the downfall of fame. But also with the more glamorous side of fame with samples with gems and embellishment also; so the contrast will hopefully be gradual but obvious at the same time.  

 Damien Hirst (http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2012/04/pop-art-icon-or-con-artist-damien-hirst-exhibit-opens-at-tate-modern/#1)

Damien Hirst - Waste Twice (http://www.damienhirst.com/waste-twice)

Damien Hirst - For The Love Of God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Love_of_God



No comments:

Post a Comment