22.4.14

Chiffon Madness

Pretty soon after experimenting with the plastic bag samples I moved on to creating the same effects but of chiffon. I chose to work with chiffon for my final garment because I wanted to use a fabric which can manipulate easily but still looked quite rich and thin.

As brilliant as the plastic samples were, it was even more exciting looking on the chiffon since the fabric was a lot more resistant and created more of a varied bubbly texture with burnt holes which look awesome and really give something else to the effect. This effect was easily achieved by running a lighter near by the fabrics until bubbled and then moving it across; never touching the flame onto the actual fabric. For me this is a very successful technique in that I enjoy manipulating the texture of the fabric by hand, as time consuming as it may be; the outcome is incredible. Finding this technique was completely by accident as I initially planned to use shibori to get a similar surface texture but this looks better suited to what I am hoping for as its a lot messier and raggedy which is great.


As well as creating this messy samples I also looked at embellishing the same chiffon samples firstly without the bubbly effect but just on flat chiffon. I ordered these gems off of ebay and found they were perfect for what I wanted, they are cheap looking but place and layered the right way and it can be gorgeous, I hope. I started with clumping the gems together to make it look heavier and richer which I believe worked well as the more gems layered on top of each other the better it looks. However once I start scattering the gems in single placements it starts to look tackytherfore I need to find a way of creating the perfect balance as I want the final outcome to graduate from classy to a ruined state. 


On these samples I have used a variation of coloured gems but I'm not certain on whether to keep it mixed or stick to one colour which may be more effective and not as budy since the gems alone a quite 'out-there' therefore I need to again find the right balance. With the different techniques and themes I'm trying to merge within this project the key word that keeps reoccurring has to be 'balance' which if I keep to it will hopefully work out well.







All own sample photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment