8.3.14

Doll Bent Introduction

When we were given the details of being able to decide for ourselves on what our final major project is to consist of; it excited me. Having the freedom to pick and choose your own subject lets you keep everything raw and fresh which is why I couldn't wait to start and pretty much begun researching for a theme as soon as I could.

I have chosen a book 'The Valley of the Dolls' as a base start of my project to help me grab and extend on ideas from this amazing book as there are so many interesting points I want to focus on. The author Jacqueline Susann focuses on three women who are on a rocky path to fame of which they all struggle with love, sleeping pills and alcohol as they rise and fall from fame in similar ways but all with different endings. From what I have researched so far I know I want to look at their struggle with drugs and alcohol as a start and hopefully it will blossom from there. 


I have also watched the 1960's movie on the book which I didn't feel captured the book well enough with the plot however the staging, costumes and lighting was enough for me to feed off of and get a certain feel of the time and era to help me with photoshoot and design ideas which is great. The glamour that the movie has perfectly invisioned from the book is something I want to focus on because it is something I haven't particularly been interested in before but being so involved with something I have enjoyed makes it a more fresh and enhanced experience for me to look into the glitz and the glamour. Especially with my favourite scene of Neely's mid fame stage of imitating the people around her 'sparkle neely sparkle'; it's the perfect quote for what I am to create with the mix of her mental breakdown and that great quote. 


However at the moment because I am so involved and excited about the book I am worried that I will stick to the same ideas and will find it difficult to move past the obvious points I want to work with. So keeping that in mind I'm also trying to figure out how to move on from the book but I'm sure it'll come alive soon enough. after I've finished the basic research on the book.


"Sparkle Neely Sparkle" (GIF)  http://www.tumblr.com/search/valley+of+the+dolls

No comments:

Post a Comment