3.3.14

Kovanlik Coding

This final two week project set on cultures was probably one of the more difficult projects for me. For me having to look into two different forms of cultures was difficult; as I had trouble trying to find cultures so different to one and other and then having to explore them again separately trying not to get the two involved. I chose to focus on computing culture vs village lifestyle; both important to me but equally hard to explore. Because of this I was constantly hitting a creative block and not being able to pass it made it more so stressful for me. 



Looking into computing for me was something I was excited and interested in as the possibilities are endless with coding, scans, typing, bar codes, wires, all sorts of genius creations. I initially really enjoyed the coding side to computing because of the same difference from the beginning of the computer age to now, as the coding and script always look a distinctive way; jumbled but important. 

Whereas looking into my mums village Kovanlik is more simplistic and organic compared to computing. Everything is done naturally, mountains, fields, farms, animals, much needed space and free energy. Unlike the slightly claustrophobic feel computing may give.

With these two cultures in mind I decided to go ahead on creating pages to do with both computing and my village. I wanted a variation of movement and stillness, hand gestures whilst typing but also whilst making bread, two different interesting methods. The feeling of coding against the simplicity of land; all these contrasts were made to help me create some prints. 









Throughout this process I did struggle with moving on from an idea as I felt I was more interested in coding which was hard to shake off, because finding primary sources for village lifestyle was limited and only made it harder for myself. However when it came to finally designing I feel I managed to pull the project together slightly by using the prints to create design collages which have a variation of sharp but round silhouettes to encounter for both computing and village cultures which I believe worked for the concept.

(Final collection images to be updated)

No comments:

Post a Comment