4.11.13

Just make make create

After a long think and scribble, my ideas eventually formed into a final piece; two final pieces to be specific.

Having one strong vision to print onto a jumper from the start of coming up with a final plan I immediately got to working. I chose to go ahead with one of my prints that I previously designed during print week on Photoshop; a print made up of cut up heart pieces from the heart I drew at the beginning of this project. At first I had the hopes of actually knitting a jumper to print onto but the concept was too adventurous as I only have a weeks experience on the knitting machine and magically making a jumper is not so easy, however I instead went on a hunt for a poly fibred jumper to heat-press my print onto. It wasn't easy but once found I headed straight to the prototyping room the next day to print my black and white pattern. Naturally I first sampled the prints on knit fabric however it wasn't very successful as the press flattened the knit which also meant the print wasn't very distinctive either. However after many samples with different knit fabrics and print sizes I finally managed to print onto my jumper by enlarging the print slightly to make it more recognizable which was a success however instead of black the print transferred as an off green which was a shame; but since my theme and intention throughout this project has been black and white, the photo shoot also was planned to be black and white also therefore saving me from my colour dysfunction problem.  The process was interesting and quicker than I thought as I wanted to get everything finished so I would have a clear mindset and enough time to edit and plan my photo shoot, video and sketchbook.







Since I had my jumper all finished and had the hopes of knitting I decided that I wanted to go ahead and knit an extremely long scarf with cable knit to represent dna and genetics which I had the vision of my model being wrapped and twisted in for the shoot. That morning I got to working from 11am in the morning soldiering on till 11pm that same night. I went 10 hours straight knitting to get this long scarf finished which to me payed off as it gave me the opportunity to teach myself how to fix up my mistakes.






Creating these two final pieces meant I had more options for my final decisions which would conclude my project. I had extreme fun producing these two in the mediums I most enjoyed experimenting within. Next step photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment