4.10.13

Develop develop design develop.

Each time we rotated the design development week was the one I dreaded the most as all I saw and heard about was the task of having to create constant different unique designs of up to 20 details in about five minutes; 20 shirt collars in five minutes you have to be kidding me. Being set the stressful task to create multiple designs of trousers/skirts/shirts/collars/sleeves one after the other, keeping the creativity flowing was a struggle but one that really tested our abilities and was a definite training for the future. However producing constant designs wasn't as daunting as I thought, I wasn't good at it but as odd as it sounds I enjoyed being put under the pressure and getting the smallest experience of what the reality of the fashion industry is really like. 

Fig 1- 23/09/13 (Own work/photography)


Fig 2- 23/09/13 (Own work/photography)


Once that quick activity was over we were told to pick a symbol which represented ourselves, I chose to use the Turkish S from my name which is written slightly different to get the 'shh' sound which I thought was a good and simple symbol to choose. With our chosen symbol we had to draw and cut multiple sizes and layers to later drape onto mannequins. This was a really interesting task as we draped each others symbols onto mannequins rather than our own and funny enough when it came to pinning my own symbol onto my mannequin I found it difficult to come up with more creative ways but managed with what I had.


Fig 1- 23/09/13 (Own work/photography)


Fig 2- 23/09/13 (Own work/photography)

After experimenting with continuous design development and draping and gaining influences and inspirations from the past two days we were told to create a collection of six designs which would be our final collection whether it be with pencils, watercolours, Photoshop, so long as you created a successful collection.Because I feel I am more of a print/textile student over a fashion design student, more of my designs were kept to a minimal shape-wise but bold print-wise which is what I love to focus on mostly.  Of course naturally I turned to Photoshop to fill in create my collection however not all of my work was Photoshop based as I originally drew my designs and prints onto paper, scanned it into Photoshop then filled in the textures of knits and weaves to create the illusion of real technique kept in the my original colour palette of black/whites and greys which is repeated throughout my sketchbook.

My finished collection is based on my S symbol which explains the curved/rounded garments I created within my collection; as the heart prints represent my continuous use of genetics with this whole project as I have managed to include a snippet of a heart in nearly every week which I don't know whether is an ideal thing to do but I feel it keeps my sketchbook looking slightly cohesive. My final concept board for my collection seems successful to me because I like to think despite my bad efforts to design a unique shape for my collection, I still managed to pull it together with a print and with the layout of the board as I also created flats for each garment I drew which makes my whole board generally more professional and well kept. This week was a struggle for me but at the end of it I have learnt how to keep in tact under pressure and also learnt how to work towards a deadline and actually get everything done on time which I am extremely pleased about.

No comments:

Post a Comment