22.9.13

Style me your personality, then shoot me.


The idea of styling always seemed quite normal to me when it comes to my own personal style as it does for everyone. However when we were told to style another person using our own props it wasn't so easy as I thought it'd be and I found this out through the styling exorcise that I really wasn't so comfortable with, however I think it can be something that I can progress on. 




This week was quite hectic in that the tasks set were all quite big from portrait polaroids to trend reports to photo-shoots. The trend report was a scary one as we had to photograph current trends in stores and since myself and Nina nominated ourselves for the high-end stores and we were instantly nervous about whether we'd be allowed to photograph especially in Selfridges. But oddly enough I had no stares, no one even said a word, therefore I just simply waved my phone about snapping up any print and garment which looked right for the trend report; so by the end of it we were quite pleased with our findings and our ability to not get rumbled by the staff at Selfridge's. Looking through the high end collections we found that boyish androgynous shapes were key throughout with boxy fits and round shoulders dominating the displays. However feminin prints were also at bay with digital printing being presented at its best with Katranzou's wild collection and Erdem's yellow floral prints all over the rails were quite uplifting on the rainy day. When we regrouped the next day to gather eachothers trends we found quite a great collection of opposites and similarities within high-street and high-end. in that prints were infectious and that bold geometric designs were cohesive with boxy shapes to match. After a lot of research and printing credit lost we finished up with 4 trend boards which all linked one way or another Geometrics, Floral Digital Prints, Metallic Iridescence, and Texture. By the end of this task I found I learnt how to edit down a lot by scrapping some trends, and how to cooperate in a group whilst completing a challenge such as this however I feel we functioned pretty well together which was great. Also being part of such a diverse group with many different ideas I felt our boards were very different and slightly more original compared to the other groups, but everyone presented in their own style which was amazing to see and great to feed off of.





My photo-shoot was a whole other bundle of craziness. My main theme was based off of my love for Matilda and the particular scene of when Matilda and Ms Honey hid in Ms Trunchball's garden, and I just loved to fear and secretive and innocence to that scene which is why I wanted to use it as an initial theme in my photo-shoot. Using my mini mood boards I decided on a hyper-reality based scenery which reflected on the innocence of the model through the props of bubbles and gum. It was amazing going through this whole process from a small influence, to mood-boards to the actual shoot and I really enjoyed organizing and creating such a fun piece. One of the mild difficulties I had was painting the leaves in my garden as it was pouring with London's sadness of rain once again therefore by the end of the shoot my garden was dripping with pink and purple, however it was totally worth it as the photos were a great turnout and for the sake of fashion it wasn't really a huge bother. After editing the photos and enhancing colours and making it seem very 'alice in wonderland' everything just came together and made sense; especially with the video of the whole process which I believe makes the experience more enjoyable especially since I loved editing the video and making it seem urban in the way it's presented which I'm quite proud of. 








This whole week has been a very fast tiresome blur and I probably wouldn't have been able to recall this all without my sketchbook but overall it was a very messy and crazy week but with wonderful outcomes which is always rewarding. Bring on Design Development Week! 

I also filmed the process of the shoot which I'm so glad I did as it shows each step and everything I went through to get the final shots and feel it is a successful addition to my project and a different side to fashion. I really did enjoy the editing process of the video also  because  I quite enjoy trying out new things and ever since creating this video it has made me eager to video more of my work which I hope to do.
















"Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous."



No comments:

Post a Comment